My daughter recently came home from college for the summer and she was teasing my husband and I that we are hoarders from looking in our freezer and pantry. Now in reality there really isn’t much, BUT she is a college student so probably not used to seeing food in her apartment. She said I have never seen so many cans and a packed freezer. We have a lot of homemade spaghetti sauce, chili and other food that we froze in the freezer. We don’t usually buy a lot of canned products but there were some that we bought during sales for when we were rushed and needed something. Most of it was canned tomato products, beans, and soups.
I was going to just make chicken tacos or burritos for dinner as I wanted to use up a bunch of tortillas we hadbut we have that a lot. I decided to use up some of the cans that we had and make something new. This recipe is something that is easy, tasty and you probably have all the ingredients you will need in your pantry. I usually like to make meals using fresh ingredients and from scratch but as mothers and with the busy lives we all have sometimes it is nice to be able to just throw something together.
We could also call this pantry chicken casserole or I was thinking Mexican chicken lasagna.
Chicken, diced: I used about 4 small chicken breasts
Garlic, minced 1 teaspoon
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can diced green chilies (4 oz)
1 can Rotel tomato and green chilies
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
Fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional but I like adding a fresh element)
1/2 onion, diced
Shredded cheese, I used an 8 oz package
Flour tortillas, I used 8 but depends on size of tortillas and pan used.
Optional: Before serving top with green onions.
1. Saute your diced chicken in the olive oil and garlic over medium heat until cooked. You can add whatever other seasonings you like but remember since we are using canned products you don’t want to add more salt.
2. Mix all other ingredients (except cheese and tortillas) together. Add the chicken and mix.
3. Spray oil a 9 X 13 baking dish. Place a layer of tortillas on bottom. Using the flour tortillas I placed 3 on one side going a little up the sides and then cut one in half to put on the other side to completely cover the bottom.
4. Place half of mixture, layer of cheese, repeat tortillas, mixture, and cheese.
5. Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
You don’t have to use the half and half. The broth is to thin out the mixture a little but I figured I had a little half and half and it would add to the richness. You can just use broth or just half and half or milk.
Obviously, this recipe is very easy and adaptable to what you have available. Have fun with it!!!