Seeing this recipe floating around on Facebook, I had to give it a try. The original recipe can be found at DamnDelicous.net. I did make some minor changes but only because of the ingredients I had on hand. The recipe using heavy cream and cheese is not light but it is a shame to ‘waste’ the creamy sauce. Try it over top of some pasta or potatoes. I love cooking with my cast iron skillet and this gave me the chance. Below is how it looked before it headed to the oven.
Ingredients (my substitutions from the original were the boneless/ skinless chicken thighs and not using heavy cream)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt cream cheese (originally 1/2 cup heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season chicken thighs with paprika, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof/cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; drain excess fat and set aside.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, Greek yogurt cream cheese, Parmesan, lemon juice and thyme.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, stir in spinach, and simmer until the spinach has wilted and the sauce has slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet.
- Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, about 15-20 minutes boneless and 25-30 minutes for bone in.
- Serve immediately.
If you don’t like your spinach too wilted and cooked you could add after you take out of the oven, as it won’t take long.
Thank you to Damn Delicious or whoever posted their recipe on Facebook…..it was DAMN DELICIOUS!!