With 2 bags of potatoes in my pantry it was no brainer to decide that one of the Christmas dishes would include potatoes.
Looking through the freezer and fridge, I also had some Parmesan-Reggiano (1 cup) and heavy cream. It is decided- Au Gratin Potatoes. These potatoes will remind you of an Alfredo and is rich, creamy and decadent.
Combine the following in a bowl and set aside:
- 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Thinly slice approximately 2 1/2 lbs or 3-4 large peeled potatoes. I like using a mandoline for even slicing and place my potatoes in water so they don’t brown while I am assembling.
If you are going to bake right away- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. You can also make the day ahead and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
Grease a 2- 1/2 quart baking dish (cooking spray or 2 tablespoons of melted butter).
You will be layering the ingredients- depending on your baking dish used it may be 3 or 4 layers.
- Layer of potatoes
- Layer of cheese
- Liquid mixture
Bake uncovered for 60-70 minutes.
- Use another type of cheese
- Add onions and/ or red peppers: I would incorporate before the cheese layer.
- Have left over ham, dice and add a meat layer.
- Don’t like garlic? leave it out.
- I have also added smoked paprika (1 teaspoon)